Beans and rice! Together they’re a whole protein. They’re also delicious. They’re great to eat as a side dish or even a main dish. I like to wrap mine up in either some Bibb lettuce or a tortilla and take it to work as a snack or even lunch!
I sometimes try to participate in meatless Monday, and this recipe is perfect for that. It’s filling, and it’s delicious. My SO is definitely all about the meat, but even he will eat this and happily so!
If you’re looking for a good grilling recipe to have all summer long, this is the one for you! I love it because it is tangy, but it also has a bit of a spice to it. If you want it a little thicker, some flour or a corn starch slurry would probably work!
Thanks to the folks at All Recipes for this delicious recipes!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1.5 cups low sodium, low fat vegetable broth
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 30 ounces canned black beans, drained
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the spices and black beans.