I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw these chicken fajita melts. I grew up on tuna melts on bagels. They’re a total comfort food for me.
Chicken fajitas are so delicious, and you put them on a tortillas anyway… I just don’t understand why I didn’t think of this myself. I did some research, and it looks like Subway has had them as a promotion… I don’t have a tv, and I work in a school. I’m not seeing many advertisements these days, haha.
Even though I haven’t had the Subway chicken fajita melts, I can guarantee you that this recipe is infinitely better. It’s also pretty simple. I’m still just in awe!
This family meal is ready in 35 minutes. We’re absolutely positive that if you’re a chicken fajita family, that you’ll adore this chicken fajita melt recipe!
Thanks to the folks at All Recipes for this delicious meal!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 (1/2 inch thick) slices French bread
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced onions and red peppers, and cook and stir for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomato juice and taco seasoning, and mix well. Cook mixture until the juice has thickened and the chicken is well coated with sauce, about an additional 7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of salsa over each slice of French bread. Evenly spoon the chicken mixture on top of the salsa topped bread. Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese.
- Place sandwiches under the preheated broiler and cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.