Star Crunch was one of my favorite snacks and desserts as a kid. My mom loved them too, which meant that I didn’t have a hard time convincing her to get them. They were also on sale pretty often which helped my case.
I haven’t had a Star Crunch for about 10 years. I graduated high school, and I suddenly wasn’t surrounded by that food anymore. I have picked up boxes to look at the ingredients, and there are a lot of things that I don’t necessarily want in my body, and if I do, it’s not in the form of Star Crunch. These copy cat Star Crunches are only 6 Ingredients and far healthier!
I work with kids from a lot of different backgrounds. I’ve seen the difference that having (and being able to afford) good food choices can make in a child’s food choices outside of the home. I definitely wouldn’t say deny them all treats, but giving them healthy versions of the treats that their friends have will allow you to still feel good about giving them, and it will help them feel included at school.
Thanks to Sara at The Organic Dietitian for this awesome recipe!
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup sun butter or almond butter
- pinch sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups brown rice cereal
- In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat add the brown rice syrup, coconut oil, sun butter, salt, and cacao powder.
- Whisk together until everything is melted and the cacao powder is well incorporated, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the brown rice cereal and mix with a spatula until the cereal is evenly coated with the syrup.
- With a 1/2 cup scoop, scoop out the mixture onto lined baking sheet being careful with your hands as the mixture may be hot.
- Scoop all of the mixture out (mine made 10 rounds) and put in the fridge to cool and slightly set for about 5 minutes.
- Now the mixture should be cool enough to flatten with your hands and form into desired shapes.
- Put back in the fridge for another 30 minutes- 1 hour until fully set and ready to eat.
- If it is hot out or you want a firmer treat store in an airtight container in fridge.
- If is cool out or you want a softer treat store in an airtight container on the counter for up to one week.