This was one of the first dishes that I ever made without a recipe. I looked around at what I had in the apartment, and as far as I could tell, there was nothing. So this was my first throw together meal. What made me think to do this was I wanted something that tasted like how my grandma’s house smelled like when I was little, which was always a lot of tomato and cumin.
This is one of my favorite dishes ever. It’s pure comfort. These Mexican flavors are beautiful together. Check out this recipe on the next page!
As I said, this was my first meal without a recipe. I killed it! Rocked it! Whatever you want to say. Everyone that I have ever served this to has loved it. So, I really think that this will be a hit with your family! If your kids aren’t in to spice, go ahead and knock down the cayenne 🙂
Ingredients for Mexican Style Chicken
- 4 (small) Chicken breasts, cubed
- 10 Mushrooms, sliced
- Broccoli stems chopped
- Walla Walla Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 tsp of each: Chili Powder, Smoked Paprika, Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 2 cans of tomato sauce (1 can of water)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ can of green chilis
- Cheese and S. Cream for on top (if you want)
- Corn Tortillas
- Sautée your onions and mushrooms in a large pot
- Add tomato sauce, spices, chilis, and water. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer.
- In a separate pan brown your chicken, then add to your sauce mixture, and let it simmer until your rice is done.
- Cook rice. 1C rice to 1.5C water.
- Serve with or without S. Cream and/or Cheese
- Optional: Warm up some corn tortillas! Mmmm
Photo Source: Me