Rice is an absolute staple in our household. We eat a boat load of it all the time. For my SO, it’s a total comfort food. I’ll come home to him just noshing some rice with a bit of sriracha mayo in it. He’s so happy as he eats away. He calls it our “poor people mac and cheese,” haha. It is quite tasty.
I am constantly buying rice. There are only two of us in the house, but I’m still buying 6+ pounds of rice once or twice a month. Keep in mind, this is real rice. Up until this delicious cilantro-lime rice skillet, I had never even tried minute rice.
Last week when we were shopping, I reluctantly grabbed the smallest box of minute rice that I could find and put it in my basket. I had never used it, and I didn’t really know what it was about. When I got home, and I opened the box, I called out to my SO about how weird it was. “Well, yeah, it’s freeze dried!” “IT IS?!?!” “Yeah, I thought you knew how to cook…” He’s a snarky one sometimes, and he definitely knows I can cook, haha. Cooking the minute rice, I must say, was a fun experience. It was so quick and easy. Plus, I enjoyed watching it rehydrate.
The overall meal was delicious! We both loved it, and it will now make its way into our repertoire.
Visit the link below to view the recipe 🙂
Visit the link below for the recipe.
I love a couple things about this meal. One, it’s quick and simple! It’s perfect for busier weeknights, or weekends in our case. I like that it is ONLY one pan to clean. That is excellent. Finally, it’s inexpensive. Add the light, fresh flavors, and it’s a perfect meal.
Thanks to Jaclyn at Cooking Classy for inspiring this WONDERFUL recipe!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped (keep lighter and darker portions separate)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 2 cups minute white rice (don’t use regular rice!)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add chicken, season with salt and pepper and other spices. saute until cooked through, about 6 minutes, adding in lighter portions of the green onions and garlic at last 1 minute of cooking. Stir in broth, green onion greens, green chilies, lime zest, lime juice, black beans and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, add rice, fully immerse rice in broth, and allow to boil 20 seconds, then remove from heat and immediately cover with a lid. Let rest 5 – 6 minutes.
- If needed, return pan to medium heat and cook and toss 1 minute to allow rice to absorb excess moisture. Remove from heat, toss in cilantro and let rest uncovered 3 minutes.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Cooking Classy.
Photo Source: Me