My SO works on Tuesday evenings, which means Tuesdays are my day to experiment with food that he may not like. I invite a friend or two over, and we cook together while enjoying good conversation and sometimes even some wine.
This last week, we made this amazing baked chicken with artichokes skillet. We e-mail each other recipes that we would like to try, and then we decide from there. We also sit and scrutinize the recipes to see what can be changed or adapted. I really and truly believe that recipes make good guidelines in cooking, but they’re not scripture. Change them as needed or desired. If you’ve been reading our blog long, then you know pretty well at this point that I enjoy changing things up.
I noticed that this recipe didn’t have any herbs or spices. There was just salt and pepper. I knew immediately that that would not be enough flavor for our flavor-loving palates. I happened to have some fresh rosemary, some dried thyme, basil, and oregano. So we threw those in, and it was absolutely outstanding!
The flavors of this dish are second to none. The meat is tender and juicy. The veggies are phenomenal. I’m glad that we made the alterations that we did because it really turned out to be one of the best meals I’ve had in a while.
Visit the link below to view the recipe 🙂
Visit the link below for the recipe.
I had a couple huge zucchinis I needed to use so I added half of one to this recipe. It was quite nice. You’ll also see that there are carrots and spinach. While all of the veggies were yummy, I think next time I will only do the onions and then double or triple the artichokes. Those were my favorite. This is a personal choice. Use whatever veggies you like. I will add all the veggies in the recipe. It was really really good.
Thanks to Katerina at Diethood for inspiring this DELICIOUS recipe!
- 1 tablespoon butter (earth balance if dairy sensitive)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 chicken pieces (thighs, chicken breast, legs, etc…)
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 can (14-ounces) quartered artichokes, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 small zucchini, chopped.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 bag (6 to 8 ounces) baby spinach
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large nonstick skillet that’s safe for stovetop and oven.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and rosemary to skillet and brown on both sides; about 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from skillet (remove and toss the rosemary) and set it on the side, leaving oil in skillet.
- Add artichokes, onions, carrots, zucchini, and 1/2 of chopped garlic to the skillet.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are slightly tender, stirring occasionally,.
- Add rest of the chopped garlic and spinach; continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add broth and chicken.
- Place in the oven and bake for 18 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Plate and ladle liquid and veggies over chicken pieces.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, or couscous if desired.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Diethood.
Photo Source: Me