I’ve been working closely with kids for almost 3 years now. My experience ranges from infants all the way up to 8th graders. I’ve seen a lot in the last three years due to working in both public schools and at daycares.
One thing that I have learned is that nothing brings kids (no matter the age) running to a table to eat faster than a creamy pasta dish! In the cooking club that I established, the middle schoolers were the ones getting the lessons. There were always requests for creamy and cheesy pastas. We did mac and cheese. We did Alfredos, etc, etc. The little ones at the daycare? Even the preverbal ones knew when it was pasta day. You’d see their eyes light up, and they’d sprint to the table trying to skip the hand washing. Tsk, tsk. Over here, little scamp. It was adorable.
Have a pickier eater who doesn’t really like their veggies? I’ve also found that even the kids who wouldn’t normally eat the veggies as well as all the other food, would devour peas, broccoli, etc. from a pasta dish.
This chicken Alfredo bake is kid tested and approved! Not only that, it’s something adults love and enjoy as well. Grab a fork and dig in to this chicken Alfredo bake.
Visit the link below to view the recipe 🙂
Visit the link below for the recipe.
While there are no veggies in the original recipe, I think a crown of broccoli or so would be fantastic in this! It also makes it feel a bit healthier, haha.
Thanks to Kristyn at Lil Luna for this WONDERFUL recipe!
- 1 – 12 oz package Penne pasta,
- 3 – boneless, skinless chicken breasts (marinated in Italian Dressing if desired)
- vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 stick butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 TB flour
- 3 cups half and half
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups Kraft Italian Five Cheese Blend w/cream cheese, divided
- Italian Seasoning, garnish
- If time allows, always try to marinate your chicken. Throw them in a bag of italian dressing and let sit overnight or even a few hours will help your chicken to be tender and full of flavor.
- Cook pasta as directed. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 – 2 TB of oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Slice your marinated chicken in half so they are thinner pieces. This will help them cook through evenly.
- In a bowl mix salt, pepper, thyme and poultry seasoning and rub it on all sides of your chicken breasts. Add chicken to hot oil and cook on both sides until done (about 15-20 minutes). Remove to a plate to let cool.
- While chicken is cooling, preheat your oven to 350 and start on your sauce. In a separate large skillet melt the butter; add garlic and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Using a wire whisk, mix in flour and stir until bubbly. Mix in half & half and milk, stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- With your whisk, mix in 1½ cup of cheese. Cook an additional 5 minutes until sauce starts to thicken. Remove sauce from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut your cooked chicken into bite size pieces and add to a large bowl. Add the pasta to your bowl and then the sauce. Mix everything to combine.
- Spray a 9×13 baking pan with non stick spray. Add the pasta mixture to the pan and sprinkle with an additional 1½ cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Lil Luna.