This is the first frittata that I ever made. Keep in mind, I came to cooking sort of late in life. I was 23 before I started doing any serious cooking. In less than a month of cooking daily, I was challenging myself by using fewer recipes and using my own flavor palette instead! While I would still use recipes as guidelines, it was really just to figure out the process and base ingredients of things that I’d never attempted before.
This egg bake is one that I made often in the summers with my high school sweetheart. We didn’t have the easiest schedules. He worked graveyard. I worked upwards of 40 hours a week while taking accelerate college courses throughout the summer. For the longest time, we never, ever got breakfast together. When that started, I was ecstatic, and I just jumped right on in it. Egg bakes, waffles, pancake, French toast, etc.
While we’re no longer together, these meals are definitely one of the fleeting memories that will skitter across my brain every once in a while and make me smile.
This meal is incredibly simple to make. It is a bake so allow about 40 minutes for it to cook. It is sure to be a hit with the whole family. It’s also super customizable. Do with it what you will to make you and your family happy 🙂
Check out this awesome recipe on the next page! You won’t be disappointed!
While this recipe doesn’t include any meat, it is really good with some breakfast sausage chunks thrown in or some chopped up bacon. Do you! Do what you like and what feels right to you and your family. A really great family meal.
Thanks to Sharon at Delish Plan for this FABULOUS recipe!
- 12 eggs
- 1/2C Sour Cream (if you need dairy free, you can use Toffuti’s better than sour cream)
- 2C Zukes, sliced and quartered
- 2C Yellow Squash
- 2C Mexican Squash
- 1C mushrooms, quartered, the halved
- 2t fresh dill, chopped
- 1t fresh thyme, chopped
- 1t fresh basil (i used frozen…)
- 4 cups cubed day-old bread (from about 4 slices)
- Fresh Basil on top for garnish if you so choose.
- Preheat oven 350*F
- Heat some oil (I’m a dumb ass and used butter b/c I was just reading off the recipe instead of thinking about the fact that butter’s friggin DAIRY! I’m so pissed) over med. Cook up your squashes and shroomies ~10mins.
- Whisk together your eggs, s. cream, tomatoes, bread cubes, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Pour veggies into baking dish
- Pour eggs atop
- Cook for 30
- Then cook at 425* for the last 5-10 minutes
- Garnish with basil… or not.
- Serve and enjoy!