Confession time: I’m really not a big fan of bananas. There’s a texture, smell, flavor thing that I can’t really deal with.
While my SO and I were courting, seeing if this would lead anywhere (a whole two years ago now), we were talking, and I on accident discovered that he is the most tickling person I have ever met. He said something that ruffled my feathers, and so I jabbed him right in the side. The noise that came out of him was pretty priceless, and we were on campus surrounded by people. It was great. What was his revenge? He takes out this almost completely brown banana and shoves the entire thing in to his mouth. I almost gagged right on spot. One it looked nasty. Two, the sickly sweet smell that comes from overly ripe bananas was noxious. Luckily for me, it didn’t work out well for him. His revenge turned into me doubled over with laughter at his pain and stupidity. Good times.
All of that being said, I do actually like banana bread and banana cake a lot. I’m not sure how that works or why I do, but I do. It is delicious! The hardest part for me is making them. One, I’m not the best baker. Two, the smells and textures get to me as I’m working with the banana. That being said, I enjoy them too much to not make them.
This banana cake isn’t just any plain ol’ banana cake. It also has a rich and luscious cream cheese frosting on top. Mmmmm! You haven’t lived until you try this. It’s insanely good!
I should note: THIS RECIPE IS STRANGE! The 275F is correct. Yes, it’s low, but it works. The cake is awesome. So, let me restate that 275 degrees Fahrenheit is the correct temperature. Give this cake a shot. It’s delicious!
Thanks to Jackie at Happy Hooligans for this fantastic recipe!
- 1.5 cups very ripe bananas (3 fresh bananas or 4 thawed, previously frozen bananas)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups buttermilk (OR milk soured with one tbsp vinegar or lemon juice)
- ½ cup softened butter
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temp.
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3.5 cups icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar or confectioner’s sugar)
- Pre-heat oven to 275 F, and grease and flour (or spray), a 9×13 cake pan.
- Mash banana and mix with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a med bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- If you’re making your own buttermilk, combine milk and vinegar (or lemon juice) in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in bananas.
- Pour into cake pan and bake 1 hour and 10 mins (or until knife comes out clean). *if need be, cook longer, checking every 10 minutes until cake is fully cooked.
- Immediately place in freezer for 45 minutes. (if not completely cool upon removal from freezer, let cool further before icing).
- Cream butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in vanilla and icing sugar on low until combined, then high until smooth.
- Frost cake and enjoy!
Make sure to check out more awesome recipes and beautiful step-by-step photos at: Happy Hooligans.