Taco Bell! Ahhhhh! My absolute favorite guilty pleasure. Sadly though, I can’t eat it without getting incredibly ill. I feel like that’s the same for most people. That doesn’t mean I don’t eat it though. My SO and I have an agreement. We get Taco Bell once every 6 months, but we’ve been doing really well lately. We’ve only had it once in the last 8 months. I think we may make it a year before having it again. We love it. We both really love it, but it’s such a slippery slope for us. For some people it’s sugar (ok… for me too). For others it’s chips (ugh, again, me too!). Those are the foods that can just make you forsake your dietary needs and desires. For us, it really is Taco Bell. We start there, and it just continues. So we have to be really stringent about when we go and what we order while we’re there.
In order to get our Taco Bell fixes without us both being down and out for the count from being sick, I’ve been looking up and trying copy cat recipes! While this grilled chicken burrito isn’t copy cat recipe per se, it definitely reminds me of the grilled stuffed chicken burritos. The best part? It doesn’t have all the preservatives and such that Taco Bell has so it doesn’t make us sick.
This grilled chicken burrito is delicious! It makes for a fun alternative to taco night. It really does end up being cheaper than eating out, and it, of course, is so much healthier. The flavors and textures are spot on. Go ahead and give it a try!
Thanks to Mel at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe for this fantastic recipe!
- 1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (or other leftover meat, like shredded pork or beef)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 green onion, finely sliced (white and green parts)
- 1/2 red or green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I use a combination of Monterey jack and sharp cheddar)
- Sour cream (optional)
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillasInstructions
- Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Add remaining ingredients except for cheese and sour cream. Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. (Optional: I like to dollop little bits of sour cream over the cheese before arranging chicken and rice mixture down the center – it makes the wraps delightfully creamy.) Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open and slightly flatten the wraps with the palm of your hand. Spray seam-side of the wrap lightly with cooking spray.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for 1 minute. Arrange wraps, seam-side down, in pan or griddle and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side. Cooking them seam-side down first helps seal the long edge so they don’t fall apart. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining wraps. Serve warm.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Crisp Chicken Burritos
- Avocado Chipotle Snack Wraps
- Hamburger Wraps
- Ranch Chicken Bacon Wrap
- Baked Taco Shells
- Crunchwrap Spureme
For more spectacular recipes and some great step-by-step photos, visit Mel’s Kitchen Cafe