I love lasagna! I can’t really think of a person who doesn’t. I can’t have it anymore, even with all of the amazing gluten free options out there now. There’s just too much dairy in it. That being said, I know a certain love who would adore this lasagna soup! This recipe is huge. It serves 6-8. If it’s just my SO eating it, I need to reduce it a bit. Even though he’s a big eater, that’s still too much for him!
This lasagna soup is simple to make. It requires only one pot, and you can of course use the ingredients you feel fit! You’ll love this on those cold and dreary winter eves.
A pound of meat, veggies galore, herbs, and 3 types of cheese, you really can’t go wrong with this lasagna soup! It’s filling. It’s warm. It’s cozy. I’m personally a soup mug person. I love eating out of mugs. It feels so homey and comfy. So grab your favorite bowl or mug, and load yourself up with this awesomeness!
- 1 pound bulk HOT Italian sausage (I roll them into little balls)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper color of your choice, diced
- 8-10 mushrooms, sliced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (24 oz.) jar Pasta Sauce (or make your own!)
- 8-10 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 whole bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into approx. 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese
- Heat large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add beef and onion and cook, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned.
- Add garlic and and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add your bell peppers and mushrooms. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add Sauce, 6 cups chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, spices and lasagna noodles. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally (approximately 20-30 minutes).
- Discard bay leaf and stir in heavy cream (optional) and 2-4 cups chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheeses.