I was on a mango salsa kick for a while. I still love it, but my SO isn’t really a fruit fan, and mango is definitey not one of the few fruits he eats. The texture makes him very, very unhappy. I made this Caribbean Pork with Mango Salsa about 3 years ago when I was just really learning how to cook and what you could do with flavors and slabs of meat.
I love this dish! All of the flavors are perfect together, and it was super simple and fun to put together.
As a rule of thumb I rarely ever follow a recipe exactly. I use them as jumping off points. The only time that I follow a recipe exactly is when I’m baking, and that’s because baking is science, and I’m not very good at science. This recipe was inspired by this great recipe, but I made my own mango salsa for this Caribbean Pork with Mango Salsa dish.
Spice Rub Ingredients:
- 1.5t ground coriander
- 1.5t ground cumin
- 3/4t sugar
- 3/4t ground ginger
- 1/2t salt
- 1/4t allspice
- 1/8t cayenne
Mango Salsa Ingredients:
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 orange, half juiced, other cut up to put in salsa
- 1 tomatillo, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, chopped
- A Couple Pineapple Rings, chopped
- A sprinkle of Cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- A Pinch Red pepper flakes
1. Combine the spice rub ingredients in a small bowl. Rub pork chops with spice mixture.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; grill 3 minutes on each side or until a thermometer registers 145° (slightly pink).
3. Combine mango and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; toss gently. Serve salsa with pork.
Photo Source: ME