About a year before I moved out of my mom’s house, we went on one last food kick. This last and final one was roasted chicken. My mom would cover it in herbs, but she would also stuff it with lemon halves. It was so good. She’d roast veggies with it. This was the first time that I really got up the nerve to try an onion, and it was good! That was when I started like onion.
Since I can’t remember everything that my mom did with our roasted chickens, I’m looking forward to trying out this recipe!
I love roasting whole chickens. I usually end up getting too fancy on the sauces and toppings. I’d love to try just this simple recipe. It sounds delicious. I love the aftermath of roasted chicken. We pick it clean, and then I use the bones to make some chicken stock. Then it’s soup for the next evening. Love it!
Thanks to the folks at The Hungry Housewife for this great recipe!
Ingredients for Toasted Coconut White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- 5 lb. Whole Chicken
- 1 stick Butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon minced Fresh Rosemary
- 1 1 /2 teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon minced Fresh Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Rinse and dry the chicken and place it on a rack in a 9 x 13 pan.
- Place in the refrigerator uncovered, until ready to cook dinner, up to 24 hours. (this helps the skin dry out)
- Preheat oven to 425
- In a small bowl, mix together butter,parsley,oil,rosemary,salt,thyme and pepper.
- With your fingers,separate the skin from the breast and spread butter over the meat and replace the skin. Continue to rub the entire chicken with butter including the inside.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast in oven for 1½ hours or until juices run clear.
- Loosely tent with foil during the last 30 minutes of cooking to prevent the skin from over-browning.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes prior to slicing.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: The Hungry Housewife.