This homemade buttermilk syrup will pair perfectly with these pumpkin waffles. I haven’t ever heard of buttermilk syrup, but it sounds absolutely silky and decadent. I can just imagine the textures of the waffles and syrup blending. Yum!
I think for my next batch of pumpkin waffles I will forgo my mom’s apple cinnamon syrup for this buttermilk syrup. Check out this recipe on the next page!
Buttermilk has a reputation. That reputation? It’s all good. It reminds people of home, comfort, and simpler times. I can imagine that this buttermilk syrup will bring many back to their happy places from when they were a child. They’ll be overwhelmed with a sense of nostalgia, and maybe, just maybe, they’ll start looking at the world with all the wonder of a child’s eye.
Thanks to Carrian at Oh Sweet Basil for this recipe!
Ingredients for Silky Homemade Buttermilk Syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon light karo syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large pot or saucepan over medium heat add the butter, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and karo syrup.
- Heat until everything is well combined and bring to a boil.
- Quickly remove the pot from the heat and add the baking soda, place back over the heat, stirring constantly.
- stir for 30 seconds over the heat (i often just take mine off so i don’t risk boiling over) and serve immediately.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Oh Sweet Basil.