Just the word soufflé makes me giggle. Who remembers all of those cartoons where some poor soul would be baking a soufflé, and then something loud would happen, and it would collapse? Think Looney Tunes. I still think that stuff is hilarious.
I have never had a soufflé before. In fact, I’ve never heard of a savory potato soufflé. Usually soufflés are of the sweet variety. Go ahead and follow the link to the next page for the ingredients. The video will be on the page after.
I’m interested in learning how to make a soufflé. For so long, they have been a scary thought because of how sensitive they are. I mean, of course, the cartoons exaggerate it a bit, but they only exaggerate on true happenings. The video with the instructions are on the next page.
Ingredients for Savory Potato Soufflé
2 tbsp (30g) butter, plus extra for greasing
3 tsp breadcrumbs, for coating the ramekins
1 large potato (300g), cooked with peel on
1 1/3 cups (85g) mature Cheddar, grated
1/3 cup (30g) Parmesan Cheese, grated
2 tbsp fresh chives
freshly ground black pepper
6 tbsp milk
paprika, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 450F(220C) and put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Butter 4 ramekin dishes and dust with breadcrumbs.
2. Peel the cooked potato and place in a medium bowl. Use a potato masher to mesh it well.
3. Grate the cheese and separate egg yolks from the whites. Add cheese, chives, black pepper and egg yolks over the mashed potato.Stir to combine.
4. In a small pan warm the milk with butter until the butter melts and pour over the potato mixture. Stir to combine.
5. Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the potato mixture.
6. Fill the prepared ramekins with potato mixture and sprinkle paprika on top. Place in the oven on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes until puffed and golden.
Visit the Next Page link below for the VIDEO instructions.
This is a fun recipe. Watch below and try it out on your family!