French food, aside from pastries, isn’t really something that I’ve had a lot of experience with. Or if I have, I didn’t really know it. I’ve even been to France, but due to my diet restrictions, I was stuck with salads (though amazing salads) and fish most of the time.
This dish is traditionally made with skin on, bone in chicken breasts and real French champagne (which is expensive). Go ahead and look at the awesome substitutions available.
Chicken breast was always what I went for up until like a year after I moved out. There was just something off putt about thighs. Maybe it’s because boneless, skinless chicken thighs look terrible. Also, I hate all of the fat trimming that comes with it. I’ve learned the error of my ways, however, and I now swear by thighs over breats 😉
Thanks to Lisa at Cooking with Curls for this recipe!
Ingredients for Chicken in Champagne Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 organic chicken breasts or thighs (skin on, bone in)
- sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 Large shallot (minced)
- 1 cup Brut Champagne
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons chopped, fresh tarragon
- fresh lemon juice (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken to skillet and seer for 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken, and place on a plate.
- Remove pan from heat, and add shallots. Heat and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the Champagne and scrape bottom of pan to remove all of the cooked bits.
- Place the chicken back in the pan, baste with the champagne sauce and place in the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until thoroughly cooked.
- Heat butter in a large non-stick pan. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven, and add the sauteed mushrooms. Stir in the tarragon and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Serve with brown rice and Haricot Vert (French green beans).
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Cooking with Curls.