Mexican pizza? I think the Taco Bell Mexican pizzas just haven’t really been advertised like some of their other dishes. I am an absolute Taco Bell lover, but I have some how managed to miss the Mexican Pizzas… for 26 years. CRAZY!
I am now intrigued, but I think it would be healthier and safer for me to try a homemade one instead of Taco Bell’s delicious poison.
The wonderful thing abuot making copycats? You can tweak any recipe to fit your dietary needs and restrictions. If you can’t have cheese, then you can use either a cheese alternative or just leave it off. You can’t have gluten? Great, double check your ingredients to make sure that everything is gluten free. Suddenly your Mexican pizza is one that is as unique as you are!
Thanks to Andi at Weary Chef for this recipe!
Ingredients for Copycat Mexican Pizza
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey (20 oz. of turkey is fine)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- cayenne pepper to taste, optional
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 c. refried beans
- 1 c. red salsa
- 1 c. green salsa (or use all one kind of salsa if you prefer)
- 3 c. Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spray with cooking spray. (Seriously, or else your pizzas might stick.)
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray it with cooking spray. Add ground meat and spices, and brown and crumble until cooked through.
- Spread ¼ c. refried beans evenly over four tortillas, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Evenly spread meat over beans (you will probably have some leftover). Sprinkle ¼ c. cheese over the meat, and drizzle with 2 tbsp. red salsa.
- Place another tortilla on top, and spread 2 tbsp. green salsa evenly over that one. Sprinkle ¼ c. cheese over the salsa, and arrange avocado, olives, tomatoes, and green onions over the cheese. Sprinkle ¼ c. cheese over the top of each pizza.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Carefully remove each pizza with a large spatula and serve.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Weary Chef.