This is posibly the most intense meatball dish that I have ever seen. It has the cheesiness and oinion-y goodness of French onion soup, but it also has the bulk and weight of meatballs. Not only that, these meatballs are stuffed with mozzarella squares. I can already feel the melty goodness on that cheese on my tongue.
I had neer heard of anything like this. French Onion Meatballs. Who’d’ve thunk it? Check out this recipe on the next page.
Know what I love about this recipe? Almost everything in it is homemade. You make your own meatballs, you don’t buy the frozen ones. You sautee your onions with amazing herbs and some wine. The sauce is beef stock based. That means you can use either the store bought, or if you have some made already, HOMEMADE BEEF BROTH! Delicious.
Thanks to Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips for this recipe!
For the onions:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ Tablespoon fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup red wineFor the meatballs:
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- ¼ cup bread crumbs or ground oats (gluten free, if needed)
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese (about 1-2 oz into sixteen approximately half-inch cubes, to stuff the meatballs, the remainder shredded)
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish, optionalFor the sauce:
- 1 ¾ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup red wine
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- salt & pepper, to taste
InstructionsFor the onions:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium, add onions, salt & pepper, cook 15-20 minutes, stirring frequenlty or until caramelized.
- Add thyme, sauté for minute or two, then add the wine and beef broth.
- Reduce until very little liquid remains.
- Set aside.For the meatballs:
- Combine all ingredients except the cheese in a large bowl, and gently combine with your hands.
- Divide the meat mixture into sixteen equal pieces.
- Take one piece of the meat mixture and flatten slightly into a patty. Place about a half tablespoon of the onions and one cube of cheese in the center of the patty and wrap the meatball around the onions and cheese, sealing as best you can. Repeat with the remaining meat, onions, and cheese cubes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and pour over the meatballs. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. If you are not using an oven-safe skillet, transfer to a casserole dish before pouring over the sauce.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the meatballs and return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through, then place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: Cupcakes and Kale Chips.