Coconut is one of those things that took me a long time to enjoy. In fact, it just happened this last summer. I was super hungry so I grudgingly tries the roasted coconut strips from Trader Joe’s that my mom had bought. I decided they were pretty good, and ever since I’ve been far more willing to try coconut.
These chocolate coconut bon bons look like a perfect gift for anyone, but also an amazing way to impress a gathering by bringing these sweet little things.
Dark chocolate is another thing that took me a long while to tolerate. I can’t say that I necessarily LIKE it, but I will choose it now, since there’s a lesser chance of it containing milk than milk or white chocolate. These chocolate coconut bon bons look divine!
Thanks to All Food Recipes for this recipe!
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2- 12 oz bags semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 sticks butter or 1 cup at room temp
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1-2 tblsp shortening, coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Mix butter, milk and powdered sugar, vanilla,coconut oil
- In a large bowl blend together with a mixer the stick of butter with sweetened condensed milk. Add the entire bag of powdered sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the chopped pecans and coconut to the powdered sugar mixture. Mix well with hands or large wooden spoon. Place bowl in the refridgerator for at least an hour.
- Shape into balls about 1-1/2″ or the size of walnuts. Put on a plate and place in the refridgerator for an hour to harden
- Dip in melted chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or place a small saucepan inside a larger one and put water in the larger pan.) Pick up each piece of candy with a toothpick, one at a time and dip in the melted chocolate. You may need to use another toothpick to push the candy off the first toothpick. Place on wax paper, allow to set. If you want to melt the white chocolate and drizzle it over the candy, that adds a nice touch, but I don’t usually do this
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: All Food Recipes.