A deconstructed burrito is exactly what it sounds like, all the fixins for a burrito, but not bundled neatly in a tortilla. Instead, the ingredients are put in a bowl and eaten. Burrito bowls, or a deconstructed burrito, are my favorite things to order when I go out to a Mexican restaurant.
This is a great option for many reasons. 1) It’s gluten free! 2) It’s easier for kids to eat because they won’t be trying to balance their tortillas and making sure they don’t break and spill. 3) It sounds absolutely delish!
Rice, meat, mexican spices, and cheese all served in a bowl. Honestly, what could be better? A deconstructed burrito takes so much less time than taco or burrito night! No real assembly requiresd. The super convenient thing about this particular recipe? Jamielyn over at I Heart Nap Time has it so it’s only 1 pot! That’s right! Clean up will be a breeze.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 pound lean hamburger
- 1/3 cup Old El Paso Medium Thick n’ Chunky Salsa
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can corn, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can Old El Paso diced green chiles
- 1 cup jasmine rice (or any long grain)
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups chicken stock (chicken broth works too)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- S & P to taste
- Optional toppings:
- Sour cream
- Green Onions
- In a large pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions and red peppers. Add in hamburger and cook until browned. Stir in salsa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, jasmine rice, taco seasoning and chili powder. Pour in chicken stock and then bring to a light boil.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is all the way cooked.
- When rice is done, S&P to taste. Top with your favorite toppings. We like to serve over lettuce in a salad bowl and eat with tortilla chips.
Check out the original source for this recipe with helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: I Heart Nap Time.