Making children eat broccoli is a challenge for many parents. Thankfully, adding cheese and bits of anything meaty almost always does the trick in making kids eat broccoli without any complaints. As far as tricks go, this recipe for cheesy broccoli chicken rice bowl is sure to work. And it’s cooked in just one pan so less cleanup for the parent in charge of dinner too.
This cheesy broccoli chicken rice bowl will not just be a hit with the kiddies, but it will also be a joy to cook for the parents. It’s very easy. It’s just a matter of browning the chicken, toasting the rice in the same pan, and then letting them cook in chicken broth for a few minutes. Then you add the broccoli and cheese. It would be fun to spoon this in a bowl for your kids to eat, and even you will love how it tastes. This fun recipe is from Christy of The Girl Who Ate Everything.
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced finely
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked extra long grain white rice
2 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
2 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet or pan, sauté onions in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Once onions soften, increase the heat to medium high and add chicken to the pan.
- Brown the chicken pieces and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 more minute.
- Push chicken to one side of the pan and add additional tablespoon of olive oil to other side.
- Add the uncooked rice in the olive oil and saute it for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook chicken and rice mixture covered for about 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the broccoli evenly over the chicken and rice mixture and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook covered another 8 minutes on low, or until broccoli and rice are both tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in half a cup of cheese.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cover with a lid, letting it sit for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Check out the original source for this recipe with step-by-step photographs and helpful tips as well as many other delicious recipes at: The Girl Who Ate Everything.