Ah, strawberry season! We’re not quite at our peak just yet this year. We’ve had a really hard winter and wet spring. I just grabbed a pint from the farmers market. They’re almost ready. We need about 1 more week of sun, and they’ll be perfect.
The great thing about this pie is that tart strawberries might actually be better because of the sugar in this. This pie only has 6 ingredients, and it’s really simple. If you can find a pre-made gluten-free, then it can easily be made into a gluten free dessert if you so desire.
Strawberries are the FIRST sign of summer for me… even before the sunshine. As soon as those Hood strawberries come out, I know it’s summer. The season is only 2 weeks long for Hood strawberries. This strawberry pie is the perfect way to welcome summer.
Thanks to the folks at All Recipes for this delicious recipes!
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Arrange half of strawberries in baked pastry shell. Mash remaining berries and combine with sugar in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving. In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Serve each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.